WA Wanting to adopt girl friends son

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam888

13 November 2019
I want to adopt my girl friends 6 year old son.
The father dosent see him but does pay child support.
How can I go about adopting him?

Atticus

6 February 2019
You will need dad to agree
& sign necessary documents.... dad will then no longer be required to pay child support. How does mum feel about that?... if you were to ever separate, you will be required to pay child support.

Adam888

13 November 2019
You will need dad to agree
& sign necessary documents.... dad will then no longer be required to pay child support. How does mum feel about that?... if you were to ever separate, you will be required to pay child support.
We have discussed this
As far as the dad goes he hasn't even met him.
Would we still need the dads permission as we wouldn't even know where to locate him

Atticus

6 February 2019
Yes... Both parents MUST agree to an adoption... In doing so dad would be giving up all legal & parental responsibility & you would be taking that on... It's a big deal, for the parents, the adopting parent & the child...

Your business, but if dad is not in the child's life of his own choosing, is not causing problems, but is paying what is required of him in child support, then one would have to ask why on earth would you feel the need to adopt. Mum will lose her child support.. What's to be gained?

Adam888

13 November 2019
Yes... Both parents MUST agree to an adoption... In doing so dad would be giving up all legal & parental responsibility & you would be taking that on... It's a big deal, for the parents, the adopting parent & the child...

Your business, but if dad is not in the child's life of his own choosing, is not causing problems, but is paying what is required of him in child support, then one would have to ask why on earth would you feel the need to adopt. Mum will lose her child support.. What's to be gained?
Thanks
What than if I don't adopt and just marry her will she loose out on support etc

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'm a step dad. I can do basically everything a bio dad does.
If my partner died, I would expect to continue living with the child because the other option is not in the 'best interest of the child' and that is the most important consideration in family law.