NSW Family Court - Will Ex Have a Claim on Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tony_b

23 August 2017
Separated from three years (2015), divorced from six months in mid (2017). Can my ex a file claim on any property if I want to buy now? We are in family court for parenting.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly. Best arrange a property division before purchasing.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Parties have a 12-month time limit on filing for a property settlement after a divorce has been finalised, after which they need leave of the Court to file. Since property settlements are determined on the value of the shared asset pool on the day of settlement, rather than the day of separation or divorce, it is best ot wait until this 12-month time period has passed before investing in any new assets, because the ex may still be able to stake a claim on them in the meantime.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Note that courts can and have waived the 12 months limit so this is no guarantee of safety. Sort out your property situation with your wife first, then purchase to avoid unnecessary risk. Being forced to sell again by a court can be an expensive and fruitless exercise.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Yes, she can.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Potentially yes. All property at time of court goes into the mix. You argue for exclusions, your ex argues for inclusions, the court decides one way or the other what stays in the pool for splitting. What you don't do is attempt to hide items because if you attempt to hide items and they are discovered, the court then wonders what else has been hidden and not disclosed and may decide to give your ex a greater share of what has been disclosed because it deems you untrustworthy and likely to have more hidden assets.

tony_b

23 August 2017
What if she had no contribution in that money because what she earned from her job (when we were in relationship) she already taken from me via cheque (after separation)? She was working full time and I was the main carer of children before separation. Still she can claim and get?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
It is not possible to answer a detailed question like the above in an online forum.

The answer is it depends. A lawyer needs to look at all the facts and figures to arrive at a considered view, starting pre-relationship going all the way through to post relationship. It will take a few hours of time to work through all the information, after you provide it, before a range of solutions can be estimated. This is not a trivial exercise.

Reactions: tony_b

tony_b

23 August 2017
I work fulltime. My annual income is around $75000, separated from last three years, planning to buy property that is around 700000$, which needs a deposit of around 130000$. Can she still claim and get?

And the second thing is, I want to know is will my child support come down if I am paying mortgage instalments?