NSW Wages - Putting in Free Overtime Work?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joline

28 April 2018
I work in the retail industry as a casual with a set fortnightly roster, rostered 5 weekdays from 7am to 5pm and one weekend from 8am to 4pm. We get paid the award wage, 10% loading on Saturdays and 75% on Sundays. We get a 30 min unpaid lunch break each day with no tea breaks. We start work 10 mins early to open and finish up to 40 mins late to close each day.

Our boss has now decided that if we can't get all our jobs done through the day on Friday, we then have to stay back unpaid until it's all done. This doesn't matter whether we have been given extra tasks on top of our already hard to achieve targets or not. His reason was that only the people that work Sundays, who get "overtime" have to do it to give him something back.

I believe our boss is already getting a minimum of 40 minutes from each of us for free each week day so I don't think we should have to give him any more "free" time.

Our contracts are based on the award wages and entitlements.

Any help on whether what he is doing is right or wrong would be much appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The boss is likely wrong. Keep your own record of the times you work, it may be handy later ;)

Having said that, it is a tough time to be a retailer, especially if in a major shopping centre.