QLD Voice Recording - Legal to Record Telephone Conversations?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kudrow

12 December 2016
Is it legal in Queensland for me to use voice recording on telephone conversations, without the knowledge or consent of the calling party, using my phone systems built-in record feature to use as evidence of what was said during the conversation in Court?

There will be no 'interception device' or 3rd party device. Just pressing a 'call record' button on my desk phone's handset.

Thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Gary1231

18 December 2016
Hi Guys,

Yhis was on the legal aid page today, I was looking because Jetstar O/S call centre hung up on me saying it is illegal for me to record them ? I didn't think that was the case, but I have no idea really.

I am going to take this up with Jetstar after the New Year when I return from my holiday, as I don't want to upset them as I have already paid LOL.

http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Find-legal-information/Personal-rights-and-safety/Privacy-and-identity/Privacy#toc-recording-private-conversations-2

Recording private conversations:

In Queensland, it’s not illegal to simply record a conversation you’re involved in (either over the phone or face-to-face) without the consent of the other people involved in the conversation, but there are restrictions on what you can do with the recording. It is illegal to record private conversations that you’re not involved in - get legal advice.