VIC Visa Australia - Can Mother come from Overseas as Child's Carer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MissiN

8 January 2015
If a person had a child in Australia and they wanted to bring their mother out from overseas to help them look after the child. What type of visa can the mother get?. Also is there any way the mother from overseas can get a carer visa?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi MissiN,

Which nationality is the grandmother?

I am not an immigration expert, but your grandmother may qualify for:

1. A contributory parent visa: if their child is an Australian citizen
2. Contributory aged parent visa: if the migrating person 65 years or older
3. Tourist visa: if all else fails, she can apply for a tourist visa and come for a little while

My understanding of a carer visa is that it does not include caring for a child. It is more for relatives coming to care for a family member with a long-term or permanent medical condition (of more than 2 years) and will require medicare records or other kind of assessment

MissiN

8 January 2015
Hi MissiN,

Which nationality is the grandmother?

I am not an immigration expert, but your grandmother may qualify for:

1. A contributory parent visa: if their child is an Australian citizen
2. Contributory aged parent visa: if the migrating person 65 years or older
3. Tourist visa: if all else fails, she can apply for a tourist visa and come for a little while

My understanding of a carer visa is that it does not include caring for a child. It is more for relatives coming to care for a family member with a long-term or permanent medical condition (of more than 2 years) and will require medicare records or other kind of assessment

Hello

Thank you for responding

The grandmother is Bosnian Croatian

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria

Mark7

26 January 2015
Hello

Thank you for responding

The grandmother is Bosnian Croatian

Actually there are another 2 other visas you guys have forgotten to mention. I suggest you contact a Registered Migration Agent to determine all possible options and criteria.