VIC Vintage Police Uniform

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 January 2020
Hi,
Is it legal to sell vintage police uniforms in Victoria? I have two jackets, 1970s and 1980s vintage. They bear no resemblance to modern police uniforms, and I would like to sell them to collectors.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It's probably an offence under the Police Act. But, there is an exception if you have "reasonable excuse" - which stupidly, could mean absolutely anything.

Ref: VIC Police Act 2013 - Section 255

7 January 2020
In the end, if necessary, I can remove the police buttons and just sell them as military style jackets, and nobody would be any wiser. But it seems a shame.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If you sell to recognised collectors there shouldn't be a problem (ie; don't advertise especially on eBay or anything like that - ring collectors and/or film prop companies instead).

But keep in mind that a genuine collector or prop supplier will ask how you got them and if you obtained them legally - they won't risk getting into trouble themselves.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
In strict literal terms, they are probably still the property of the Government of Victoria,
and therefore, may not be yours to sell (no matter how you came by them).

I suggest contacting these guys, who are the most well regarded organisation of their type.

In the alternative, you may care to contact the Victoria Police Museum, and ask if they are interested in receiving them as donation.
Don't expect them to buy them - they won't have the budget.