QLD Victim to Credit Card Fraud - Do I Have a Case?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MartinGC

14 November 2016
I'm a victim of credit card fraud from Coles Financial Services. I've immediately reported it to my bank who is still investigating the matter but for now returned my funds. They continued to process charges on my account until it ran empty. I have no business with CFI but somehow they emptied me and my wife's account using both our card numbers.

I have tried to get in touch with CFI and Coles but they can't bothered but purely tells me to contact my bank. I want them to compensate me for the trouble having spent +10 hours on trying to solve this and for not being able to access my funds for 1.5 weeks.

Do I have a legal case for compensation or what should I do? I'm shocked about the lack of attempt from Coles to help in this situation. Not even an apology or attempt to help or somehow help, so we could pay for our groceries while they had stolen our funds.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are you 100% positive it was Coles Financial Services? I know someone who had money taken from an account and the payee was shown on the transaction as Google. Later found out it was not Google but someone pretending they were.

Unfortunately the courts do not recognise your time as a damage. Just keep a log for now and decide what to do after the bank concludes its investigation and the fraudster positively identified.

MartinGC

14 November 2016
I guess I need to wait for the investigation to complete. The descriptor on the statement says Coles Financial Services, and city and zip code listed matches Coles HQ.