NSW Used car from dealership - Existing damage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve Dollery

10 July 2017
HI,

I purchased a Totota Hilux 2013 from a Toyota dealership. After I purchased the vehicle I noticed some damage.
The rear canopy door was missing a strut to hold the door open which causes it to drop and hit you in the head if yo are not paying attention. The damage includes a missing gas strut, Torn fibreglass on the underside of the door where the strut was torn away. Cracks along the edge of the fibreglass door.
I noticed this damage a few days after purchasing the car and have been chasing the dealership to fix it at their cost for over 2 months. They agreed to have it fixed but I have been getting the run around. In frustration I picked up a strut from the supplier. Toyota asked me to contact their panel beater who siad if its fibreglass, then is better going to the importer which is Caddy Storage. I made the trip to Caddy storage and got a quote for approx $600.00. I sent the quote to Toyota and they said that they could not cover the total amount but would cover $200.00 of this amount.
Q.1./ Is Toyota liable for the total amount and just trying to get away with little as possible?
I don't know what responsibilty they have to repairing the existing damage. You can see a missing strut in the sales photos when I go back on the original sale that I missed when I purchased it. The vehicle was appox $44K and I opted for an extended warranty on the vehicle.
Q.2./ What should I do to get this rectified?