NSW URGENT FOR ANSWER: ASSISTING BY CALLING CRIME STOPPERS

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hi all,
Sometimes when surfing the net, i reply to posts on the net because I am curious, without going too much in details about the situation, I obtained some info from a person who is managing prostitution, what worried me is that person was getting someone from overseas and want that woman to work as a prostitute. Sorry can not give more info on this. I called crime stoppers and provided all the info I have which can identify the person. I obtained a reference number of my report. After I called, I started to think, my communication was by email with that person. I am sure the police and related authorities will investigate. I started thinking, if during the investigation, I came to their interest as the person making plans (agreeing on the price for the woman), will I be held responsible or would I have any legal aspect to it. Need to mention, that i did all that initially for fun, then i started to worry about the person who they will bring, so I reported it. secondly, I did not use my real name and I doubt anyone civilian will manage to identify me, except for the police, it will be a matter of time.
So my concern is that I reported this and I am afraid that I will be held or face crimial activity. I do have the reference number and will not lose it.
I appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.
Thanks

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hi all,
Sometimes when surfing the net, i reply to posts on the net because I am curious, without going too much in details about the situation, I obtained some info from a person who is managing prostitution, what worried me is that person was getting someone from overseas and want that woman to work as a prostitute. Sorry can not give more info on this. I called crime stoppers and provided all the info I have which can identify the person. I obtained a reference number of my report. After I called, I started to think, my communication was by email with that person. I am sure the police and related authorities will investigate. I started thinking, if during the investigation, I came to their interest as the person making plans (agreeing on the price for the woman), will I be held responsible or would I have any legal aspect to it. Need to mention, that i did all that initially for fun, then i started to worry about the person who they will bring, so I reported it. secondly, I did not use my real name and I doubt anyone civilian will manage to identify me, except for the police, it will be a matter of time.
So my concern is that I reported this and I am afraid that I will be held or face crimial activity. I do have the reference number and will not lose it.
I appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.
Thanks
Without knowing full details of your discussion it would be difficult to advise one way or another.

If during the course of their investigation, the police come across your conversation and they are of the belief that you have committed an offence, then yes it is possible that you may become involved. How likely that is depends on a variety of factors, most notably what exactly your conversation entailed. As I said without knowing exactly what was said it's difficult to give a definitive answer either way.

Jermy

30 March 2015
Without knowing full details of your discussion it would be difficult to advise one way or another.

If during the course of their investigation, the police come across your conversation and they are of the belief that you have committed an offence, then yes it is possible that you may become involved. How likely that is depends on a variety of factors, most notably what exactly your conversation entailed. As I said without knowing exactly what was said it's difficult to give a definitive answer either way.

Hi,
thanks for your comments, my communication was through email and it related to negotiating the price: Ie to see pictures of the woman then decide if the price is right, it has reached to a stage of not seeing many pictures and requesting more pictures to see, I have not agreed on a price, so there was no agreement on when, where or how much for the service of that woman. So the negotiation is still going and we did not meet or see each other, all it is is just emails between us. As mentioned, I doubt he will be able to identify me, but for the police, I am sure with time they can. I have set up an email which i use for contacting companies and filling surveys, so my actual email does not fill with marketing emails or spams, so i used the fake one,
All I want to know if, in case I was called for questioning and prove to the police that I am the one who reported it (by giving the reference and date of reporting) and I had to do that in order to get more info of the person not to actually see the woman (intent), would I be facing any criminal charges or anything to that effect? I hope that helps more.
thanks,

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
So the negotiation is still going and we did not meet or see each other, all it is is just emails between us.
Firstly, it would be wise to stop all communication with this person.

Hi,
thanks for your comments, my communication was through email and it related to negotiating the price: Ie to see pictures of the woman then decide if the price is right, it has reached to a stage of not seeing many pictures and requesting more pictures to see, I have not agreed on a price, so there was no agreement on when, where or how much for the service of that woman. So the negotiation is still going and we did not meet or see each other, all it is is just emails between us. As mentioned, I doubt he will be able to identify me, but for the police, I am sure with time they can. I have set up an email which i use for contacting companies and filling surveys, so my actual email does not fill with marketing emails or spams, so i used the fake one,
Again without viewing the actual conversation and viewing the exact words exchanged it is very difficult if not, impossible to say with certainty. Further in terms of offences, it could also depend on the age of the girl involved.

All I want to know if, in case I was called for questioning and prove to the police that I am the one who reported it (by giving the reference and date of reporting) and I had to do that in order to get more info of the person not to actually see the woman (intent), would I be facing any criminal charges or anything to that effect? I hope that helps more.
I'm not sure what you mean by you had to ask for more pictures and the 'price' of the girl in order to get more information about the person - I don't see a logical connection there. Further, whether you face charges depends on the police, not on anyone here. They would do this following reviewing all the evidence and deciding whether or not it is a) reasonably likely the court would return a finding of guilty and b) it is in the public interest to bring about a charge.

Having reported it would likely assist you during the initial investigation process and/or should you face charges.