NSW Uploading Police BWV

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Prvt. Parts

12 December 2020
If I legally obtain NSW Police Body Worn Video, through a GIPPA request. Would I then legally be allowed to publish it on YouTube/Facebook etc. As long as any private details have been redacted from the video?

If I can legally publish it, next would I legally be able to earn money from the video on those sites through their own ad revenue system?

Thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No.
And no.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Actually, the answer is "maybe". You need to look beyond the GIPA Act because information released in response to an access application under that Act is released unconditionally.

In this instance, you would need to find out if there are any copyright issues in relation to the video. The Police Service would likely claim copyright on the video and therefore you would be prohibited from publishing it without their permission.

You are not a news outlet, so forget fair use for the purpose of news. You are looking at making money and as such, you will need permission to use the content for that purpose.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's a simple copyright question.
@Scruff 's post above pretty much covers it.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
This is not social media.

That question was asked by the OP and Tim answered it. There is no need for further discussion.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
What does that even mean?

No, it is not social media, it is a legal answers forum.

The OP is fair to ask the relevant law to back up his answer. What is wrong with that? Maybe, so he can go away and do his own research and not take someones word as gospel?

P.s. When did you become forum moderator to tell people "there is no need for further discussion"?