NSW Unreported DV - Mediation Decision?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jasmine12

22 February 2019
I have an 18-month-old and been separated with my ex for 15 months.

Drug use and threats to kill our son are what ended the relationship.

I’ve had control so far with no mediation or family court. I allow two visits a fortnight. At my mother's house and we can go out for lunch/park/play but Dad is never alone with our toddler. This is coming to an end as the relationship between me and Dad is deteriorating.

The police didn’t make a report or at least there’s no event number for the DV incident- they just dropped him at emergency to be assessed.

Please tell me that no mediation will allow my son to be alone with his father? I’m terrified.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Mediation is an attempt to get an agreement. You can't be forced to agree to anything. But they will tell you that the next option is court and I can't tell you what the courts will do. However, IF the dad has never actually harmed the kid then I'd suggest that maybe dad said a few things in an argument. We all say stupid stuff sometimes true?

Jasmine12

22 February 2019
Mediation is an attempt to get an agreement. You can't be forced to agree to anything. BUT they will tell you that the next option is court and I can't tell you what the courts will do. However, IF the dad has never actually harmed the kid then I'd suggest that maybe dad said a few things in an argument. We all say stupid stuff sometimes true?

Thanks. Terrifies me at the thought of mediation or court.

We definitely say stupid stuff when we are angry but saying you are going to kill your newborn baby isn’t stupid. It’s dangerous. Even to have that thought in your head. Pair that with ice use.