NSW Unregistered vehicle infringement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kazdiz

15 May 2018
I was recently pulled over because I hadn't registered my car. Two weeks prior to this I paid for the insurance, and it had only been two weeks that my car hadn't been registered. I'm originally from qld and up there you pay for rego and insurance all in the one bill, and I didnt realise that in nsw you pay them seperately. I thought that I had insured my car and everything was fine until I got landed with a $650 fine. Do you think it's worth disputing this?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I was recently pulled over because I hadn't registered my car. Two weeks prior to this I paid for the insurance, and it had only been two weeks that my car hadn't been registered. I'm originally from qld and up there you pay for rego and insurance all in the one bill, and I didnt realise that in nsw you pay them seperately. I thought that I had insured my car and everything was fine until I got landed with a $650 fine. Do you think it's worth disputing this?

You can not dispute it as you are in the wrong. But you can ask for leniency from the court if you have compelling reasons, this is the best thing. Good luck.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Be prepared for some disbelief from a court. In Queensland the CTP insurance is clearly added in on the registration renewal, but the document is clearly a registration renewal document. You might get away with arguing for missing the insurance when it is separate in NSW, but it’s unlikely you could argue the other way around.