QLD Unpaid work One Week before opening the business has said they can’t afford to employ me anymore

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

melsueme

3 July 2015
i was offered on contract to start with a company. The business was to be new opening on 03/01/2018. I was offered this contract on 21/11/2017. The business opening was postponed until 30/04/2018.

melsueme

3 July 2015
i was offered a contract to start with a new not yet established real estate company on 21/11/2017. The contract was signed but not returned for signing by my employer.

The The business opening was postponed until 30/04/2018. In the time between the postponement I began working on the business plan, assisting in setting up the new office decorating painting, digital/print/social media, website content building, listing presentations, pre opening planning and but not including attending weekly meetings. This work was completed after hours of my normal job.

I was never compensated or paid for any of this work or agreed to be. One week before the opening of the real estate I was informed the business would not be able to pay my wages when the door opened and my offer was terminated.

Do I have grounds to request compensation for all of the work completed?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly. You will need to see a lawyer with your emails, txts and any agreements.

Lack of any express agreement from the other party may be a stumbling block for you but it is not insurmountable. At least two legal avenues seem possible but discuss with a lawyer.