NSW Unpaid Leave - Can Employer Override Doctor's Certificate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jmalek

10 January 2017
I notified my workplace with a doctor's certificate that I would be needing 5-6 weeks unpaid leave to care for my wife, child and myself. My employer has now suspended me upon my return stating the leave was not approved.

I provided the certificate before I left.

Can my employer override a doctor's certificate? Can I go back to the employer and be reinstated now?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There appear to be two wrongs here.

1. You thinking a doctor's certificate for 5-6 weeks unpaid carer's leave doesn't need approval. If the doctor's certificate was for your illness, you have a legitimate ground for complaint, but the wording of your post implies it was not your illness.

2.The employer thinking he can suspend you for taking unapproved leave. He may be able to sack you for an unauthorised absence, but unless your contract/award/eba allows it, he can't suspend you without pay.

If he does sack you, a claim for unfair dismissal may be made depending on the circumstances but there is no guarantee you'd win the case.

See what you can negotiate for a return to work. Explain the home situation, maybe you thought you had approval, maybe it was a serious life threatening condition and you had no choice, and see how he/she responds.

Jmalek

10 January 2017
Thanks for your response. I tried to speak to my HR dept and got nowhere there on the employer's side. Now my suspension has been extended for another 7 days.

I really do not know what to do.

Fair work advised me that I do not require approval for any period of personal leave ie carers/sick, as long as I provide sufficient evidence, ie med cert stating period of absence.

I have complied with my employers ea. Employer now wants personal information on where i was, what i was doing and credit card statements to justify my location. I refused stating how and where I choose to overcome my families personal medical issue is none of their business.

Can someone tell me if I have a valid point to refuse and my standpoint in this issue

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Did you tell FairWork the absence was for 5-6 weeks?

The type of evidence you need to give may often be found in the contract or company policies. BTW, was your leave approved before taking it?

Are you being paid while suspended?

Read this:
Welcome to the Fair Work Ombudsman website

Jmalek

10 January 2017

The type of evidence you need to give may often be found in the contract or company policies. BTW, was your leave approved before taking it?

Read this:

Read this:

Yes, I notified Fair Work that it was 6 weeks leave and they also checked my ea which states a med cert is required for personal leave.

My workplace doubts validity of cert and want to ask more questions to my doctor, and are asking me personal questions as posted before

Jmalek

10 January 2017
Yes i notified fairwork that it was 6 weeks leave and they also checked my ea which states a med cert is required for personal leave.
My workplace doubts validity of cert and want to ask more questions to my doctor, and are asking me personal questions as posted before

Unpaid personal leave was not pre-approved but I did meet before leaving supplying personal medical info on the reason for my leave.

It is paid suspension but I want to work again as a good portion of my wages is in overtime. I just had 6 weeks unpaid. I do not want to lose out on more now.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You may have a claim for adverse treatment.

Unless there is something in your employment agreement or award, you do not need to provide any other evidence beyond the medical certificate.

Your employer can challenge the certificate by requesting a second opinion (at their cost), or provide evidence your activities are not consistent with the carer's leave (eg going on an overseas holiday probably doesn't qualify as legitimate carer's leave). I'm wondering if other workers know more than you'd like your boss to know.

The employer can contact the doctor to confirm the certificate is valid and has not been altered. FYI, medical certificates are a legal document.

Only you can say how hard you can push back without jeopardising your job.