WA Unpaid Fines - Have I Been Blacklisted in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

applestang

25 May 2016
Hi,

I am planning to come to Australia for a holiday. However, I have some outstanding fines to pay. Do you think I will be backlisted to enter Australia and given a criminal record? I used to be a student in Australia and I overstayed in my student visa for 1 year and left Australia on my own after that. However, I have an outstanding fine on jaywalking and a train ticket (didn't pay for the train ticket, got caught by the train conductor and got a fine ticket).

It's been 10 years now since I left Australia. I was thinking if I paid my fines now with the interest, will I be able to enter Australia as a tourist, or have I been backlisted and these fines have become a criminal record? How do I check how much fines I owe and if I have a criminal record? If I come to the Australia airport, will I have to go to the prison for these fines?

Just thinking about if it is worth it to come to Australia for a holiday with all these issues on my mind. Australia is a beautiful country and I want to go there for a nice holiday.

Thank you for your help.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Ten years ago? I couldn't say for sure but the timeframe to pursue you may have passed after five.

MartyK

4 June 2016
Overstaying Visa - Usual exclusion period to re-enter Australia passed. Fines - Jaywalking issued by police? Could contact issuing bodies? Views of Dept on character when processing visa application - overstayed and did not pay fines? - no idea.