NSW Unknowing Sold Different Car Model - Fraud?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dave58

3 May 2017
Hi,

I've just sold a car that I genuinely believed was a 2015 manufactured 2016 model.

I've had this car for a year and had been made aware of this discrepancy 4 days after the transaction was complete. The buyer had called the dealership headquarters which verified the VIN.

I am just going back through the paperwork from when I purchased the car through a broker and financier and those documents mentioned it was a 2016 model car which i subsequently sold it as a 2016 model.

I've just thoroughly gone through the rego papers which note it is a 2015 model which I failed to notice when paying for rego. All my insurances note it was a 2016 model which I assume could have been dangerous.

Prior to the transaction, I had provided everything the buyers wanted and told them to conduct their searches as I would have. The day after they called me to request pick-up of the car. I understand after reading some threads that this falls under common law regarding fraud ? However noting the above, I myself was not aware of this fact until 4 days after the transaction had completed.

Wondering what leg I have to stand on.

Cheers,

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Dave,

Regardless of what you have said it would most likely be viewed as your error. I'm not sure what the buyer has asked for, cancelled sale/ price reduction. I would have a look at the price difference in redbook and to satisfy any issue with the buyer offer up the difference as a cash reimbursement. Or you can wait for them to take action against you, but as I said I believe the courts would see you in error.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi,

I've just sold a car that i genuinely believed was a 2015 manufactured 2016 model.

I've had this car for a year and had been made aware of this discrepancy 4 days after the transaction was complete. The buyer had called the dealership headquarters which verified the VIN.

I am just going back through the paperwork from when i purchased the car through a broker and financier and those documents mentioned it was a 2016 model car which i subsequently sold it as a 2016 model.

I've just thoroughly gone through the rego papers which note it is a 2015 model which i failed to notice when paying for rego. All my insurances note it was a 2016 model which i assume could have been dangerous.

Prior to the transaction, i had provided everything the buyers wanted and told them to conduct their searches as i would have. The day after they called me to request pick-up of the car. I understand after reading some threads that this falls under common law regarding fraud ? however noting the above, i myself was not aware of this fact until 4 days after the transaction had completed.

Wondering what leg i have to stand on.

Cheers,
D
What does your buyer want?