VIC Unidentifiable??????

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lewy

23 October 2017
Hi
Posting on behalf of my mum who is stuck in a catch 22 situation regarding personal identification.
She recently lost her job and has no savings. She attempted to apply for New start but has confessed to me that she can't find her birth certificate. She has also never had a drivers license and can't obtain a proof of age card as a form of photo ID ( due to needing the birth certificate).
To apply for a birth certificate to NSW BDM she needs photo ID for a start.
She only has a birth cert. extract and most other forms of non photo ID.
Can anyone suggest other avenues?
Can centre link make any exceptions?
Is there a legal route she can take immediately?
She doesn't know how she's going to pay the rent. She hasn't been listed with centre link (DSS) for around thirty years when she was a single parent

@thelawbundle

27 October 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Hi Lewy,

You've said that your mum will need photo ID in order to obtain a NSW Birth Certificate.

From my reading of this web-page, that won't be the case: Birth certificate

You will note that your mum could provide 3 x Category 3 documents OR 2 x Category 3 documents and 1 x Category 4 document.

If your mum cannot satisfy those requires, then the NSW BD&M suggest that you contact them.

In my experience, having the Proof of Age Card is the way to go for Centrelink. So if you can sort the Birth Certificate Issue out (as per the above) then you will be able to get the Proof of Age card as detailed here: Get a proof of age card

Best wishes.

Reactions: Lewy

Lewy

23 October 2017
Hi Lewy,

You've said that your mum will need photo ID in order to obtain a NSW Birth Certificate.

From my reading of this web-page, that won't be the case: Birth certificate

You will note that your mum could provide 3 x Category 3 documents OR 2 x Category 3 documents and 1 x Category 4 document.

If your mum cannot satisfy those requires, then the NSW BD&M suggest that you contact them.

In my experience, having the Proof of Age Card is the way to go for Centrelink. So if you can sort the Birth Certificate Issue out (as per the above) then you will be able to get the Proof of Age card as detailed here: Get a proof of age card

Best wishes.
Hi
Thanks for that. I realise now we misread the proof requirements and panicked. Been a long day. Feel silly now. Is there a way to delete this thread? Lol