QLD Unhappy with lawyers performance at conference

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jems

21 August 2018
Is there anything I can do after personal injury claim has been settled if I’m unhappy with how lawyer performed at conference?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
1. Talk to your lawyer and tell them why you are upset. Ask them to explain their reasoning for why they did what they did. There may be a valid reason you aren’t aware of.

2. If you’re still not happy, you can make a complaint to the Legal Services Commission at www.lsc.qld.gov.au. Go the complaints page and it will give you a rundown on the types of complaints they can consider.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Depends in part on what you're unhappy about.
A bit more detail will help us give you a more useful answer.

Jems

21 August 2018
Unfortunately it is complicated. I received a small compensation, nothing like I was told I would probably receive when I first approached lawyer for advice. I agreed to go ahead with common law case as I was told even though I had a preexisting condition the workplace injury had aggravated it to the extent I needed surgery and that I had a good case. When we went to conference I feel I was blindsided (or something to that affect) as barely anything that had had been discussed in the months prior were brought up. My lawyer advised me not to go to court because it could cost me. Lawyers fees took almost half of what I received. I was told I should receive enough to pay for future operations and loss of income. That didn’t happen. There were no surprises at conference, just that I don’t feel my lawyer fought my case hard enough. I sent an email a couple of weeks ago asking why this happened but haven’t received a reply. Hoping this makes some sense. Thank you.