QLD Unfinished job by cleaner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alex Jones

26 May 2016
Good morning

I obtained several quotes to have my investment property cleaned. It contained a very large amount of rubbish tenants left behind, as well as unkept lawn/gardens.

I chose a quote based on a price of $2500, this was fair I felt due to the amount of work required.

I have now received the bill, which is $4200. It is $1700 more than the original quote and the job is still not finished.

The cleaners said they didn’t realise how much stuff there was, despite visiting the property in person before quoting. The female owner apparently has been a cleaner for many years but has only just branched out into an actual property clean-up business. (Now doing rubbish removal and yard work also, not just straight house cleaning).

They have also left a large pile of rubbish yet to be removed, they said they can’t afford to be out of pocket any further themselves. (They know my budget was tight from the start as I made it clear)

They believe there would still be many trailer loads of loading and dumping required to finish the job.

I have checked their original documentation - it definitely says ‘quote’ and does not say anything about variations to the quote.

So my questions are:

1. Should I pay just the $2500 as per the original quote (I believe that is my correct choice).

2. I will now have to get someone else in to remove the remaining rubbish. Am I allowed to persue the original cleaners for the costs of getting the job finished by new cleaners? (I doubt the original cleaners will go back now if I asked them)

3. Although I didn’t sign an agreement, can I assume my paying a deposit before the job was an agreement to do the job at the quoted price?

Thank you, Alex

Alex Jones

26 May 2016
Update to my own original posting :

Just received a quantity of photos of the property - the yard is barely half done, and poorly at that. The piles of rubbish left are quite large. They have actually left rubbish throughout the yard and have removed several items that were supposed to be left there. The area around the house has also been chopped up by vehicles and they have taken down one of my fences (unknown why).

So now wondering how much do I pay them considering it is less completed than I expected?