WA Unfair Dismissal - Should I Join a Union?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mate

4 March 2016
Evening guys,

Is there any value in joining a union if I'm not entitled to unfair dismissal claims to FWC (salary above the cut-off point and not covered by an award or EA)?

Many thanks.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
The laws have pretty much made unions obsolete and it's been that way for quite a while now. So my opinion is spend the pennies on something useful.

Reactions: Mate

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You should join.

It was largely union based organisations that got Howard's Work Choices repealed. Ie Laws changed because unions had enough clout to make it happen. Unions need membership and the money it brings to stop the pendulum swinging back to a another version of Work Choices.

And unfair dismissal is only one form of protection. Other protections still exist a Union can possibly assist with. It can get lonely if you have to fight a well resourced company without assistance, though lawyers are available should the need arise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mate

Mate

4 March 2016
You should join.

It was largely union based organisations that got Howard's Work Choices repealed. Ie Laws changed because unions had enough clout to make it happen. Unions need membership and the money it brings to stop the pendulum swinging back to a another version of Work Choices.

And unfair dismissal is only one form of protection. Other protections still exist a Union can possibly assist with. It can get lonely if you have to fight a well resourced company without assistance, though lawyers are available should the need arise.
Hi Rod, thanks for your reply.

Would you mind advising what other forms of protection are available for individuals not entitled for unfair dismissal claims?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The 4 obvious ones that come to mind are

1. General protections under the FWA
2. Other provisions in the FWA not related to unfair dismissal
3. Wrongful dismissal (sometimes called unlawful dismissal)
4. Discrimination of some flavour. In Vic it includes the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic), not sure of the WA equivalent.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
Join the union.

You must be asking about the unfair dismissal aspect for a reason. Listen to your 'gut'. Maybe something feels a little 'wrong' at work. It did for me, I joined the union and when that 'thing' did happen, it escalated to a point the union assigned me a lawyer.

I always, quite naively, thought/believed employers did the right/ethical thing by their employees. It was just the poor employees that had things/actions occur against them.... Right?

Not so..

I am a different person now... And could write a book about it...