VIC Underpaid for 3 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

asx

24 April 2020
Hi , Im a physio health professional and was employed at a practice for perm part time for 3 years, 2 days per week. I believe I have been severely underpaid, being paid $26per/hr for the whole duration of my work , despite attempted discussion regarding pay rise etc, but my boss never got back to me. Now reflecting it was stupid and I want to take action.
I showed him Fairwork awards rate for minimum wage but he said that
"Our rates were cross referenced with the Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Fair Work.
We do this every July.
Many factors go into determining pay rates – including experience, FTE equivalent work hours, work ethic, initiative, business development and business discretion." - despite his last statement, it shouldnt negate the fact to pay someone under the awards rates?
I contacted fairwork but their despute resolution team is off due to covid19, I can go to small claims court to take further action. Can someone advise me , could I actually lose in this if I bring it to court? how much would it cost me?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
There are a couple of ways you can tackle this and I suggest you give me a call to discuss your matter, see my signature.

Current pay rates start at $23.81/hr and go to over $80/hr for experienced workers working on Sundays.

It helps if you roughly know how much in total you think you are owed. The total amount owed influences which direction you go.

asx

24 April 2020
Ok maybe I will calculate exactly how much I think is owed first and I will give you a call. Thank you.