QLD Underpaid for 12 months?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TomJongUn

25 March 2018
Hey guys,

I work at a bar/venue in QLD. Coming up to a year ago, I stepped up to the position of Head Glassy. This role involves me working much longer hours than most of the other staff and taking on sole responsibility of particular tasks that others would not handle; this aligns with other supervisor positions within the workplace and as such, my position is technically that of a supervisor. My current flat rate is $24.41/hour - l am currently getting paid the same as other casual staff, who don't work the hours I do, or take on anywhere nearly as much responsibilty as me. I am employed casually.

Recently, when casually asking my direct superior about a potential payrise, he alluded to the fact that he was under the impression that I was already on a supervisor rate and therefore, wouldn't be eligible for a payrise. The news that I wasn't being paid a supervisor rate, seemed to make him very uncomfortable. As we were in a group environment, I dropped it until I could talk to him privately.

When I approached him a week later about this, he told me something along the lines of "You've it pretty good, you should count your blessings" - this is not verbatim. I have also contacted the gentleman who used to be in my position, and he confirmed that he was being paid a supervisor rate of "TBA". I am working on getting the exact figure.

Considering my direct manager doesn't seem to want to work with me on this, I am getting ready to take this higher up the ladder. I need advice, are my concerns valid? Have I been underpaid? How should I handle this? What are my rights? Any other advice/information would be incredibly valuable!

Thank you!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What award are you on? Are you covered by an Enterprise Agreement or contract or just straight award?

If you have been underpaid then you have rights you can enforce at court, probably at the cost of your job.

If it came down to a choice, do you want your job or the underpayments?

Clancy

6 April 2016
What is surprising is that there are some staff 'not' doing unpaid overtime?