NSW Unapproved Access to Property - Liable if Issue is Not Addressed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 May 2017
Hi there,

I run a large business in NSW. Recently, it's come to light that one of our neighbours has cut a hole in the fence and handmade a hatch-like gate in the fence. The person is then climbing between the gate and the hedges into an opening where the hedge stops, which steps out directly onto our drive-thru which has a lot of vehicles.

It's a huge safety risk as cars can not see that someone is there until they step out.

My question is: what can we do about this under property law? Are we liable if we don't rectify this issue and someone is harmed?

Thank you and best regards.

Tripe

22 May 2017
I take it, the fence is on your boundary line and is a common fence , then no changes can be made to a fence without agreement from you. In general you own 50% and
The other party owns 50%, neither party has a majority share, so you can't override the other party.

You both need to agree !!!

Call the cops and get them charged for damaging your property ie, cutting a hole in the fence without your permsion.

Or the other option would be to instal a new fence, say 0.5m inside your property, then you will own 100% of it and the other party can't touch it.

Tripe

22 May 2017
Should of mentioned, you are also legally entitled to have your fence repaired back to original condition if they damaged/changed it without your permission.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You do accept some liability in negligence if you know the fence is damaged, and climbing through it is hazardous and you do nothing.