QLD Transfer of ownership for a specified time period

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ben312077

9 January 2019
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following question. I would like to know if it is possible to transfer ownership of an item to another person for a specified period of time, particularly in regards to hiring an item to someone else. Whether it be a car, boat or plant equipment for example. (not real estate)

Ended up thoroughly confusing myself whilst googling "incidents of ownership."

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
"hiring" is not "ownership". Can you elaborate on the specifics?

ben312077

9 January 2019
Hi Scruff, thanks for the response.

I’ll try my best to elaborate.

If I wanted to hire some equipment to somebody else. But that person needed to be the “owner operator” of the equipment for licensing purposes. Would it be possible to have a scenario where I could enter an agreement and transfer ownership to them for a set period of time like a day or a week, after which it would revert back to me?

I’m not sure that’s going to help that much. It’s rather tricky to explain.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
In order to achieve 'true' transfer of ownership, you'd probably be looking at a full transfer of the item together with an option agreement (either a call option, or a put and call option) to require the item to be re-transferred. This can be done with an attached security interest to be able to compel compliance. Depending on the asset, you'll likely be up for transfer duty both ways. For a short term thing, this is likely not going to be cost effective.

Another possibility, provided it meets your requirements, is to formally lease the item. You'd need to check the the 'owner operator' requirements closely.