Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Traffic Law - Understanding Parking Signage?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Jason_nsw, 4 January 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jason_nsw

Jason_nsw Member

I'm hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on the traffic law technicalities of this parking signage scenario;

2P 8AM - 6PM
    4P 6PM - 10PM

If I parked at this location at 5:50PM, do I have;

- 10min + 4hrs?

- 4hrs - 10min?

- 10min of parking time? (Which would seem contrary to the minimum 2hrs)

- Required to return to vehicle exactly at 6PM to get new ticket?

- Other?

[​IMG]

2. Jason_nsw

Jason_nsw Member

Service NSW says;

Inner West Council
    says;

The frustrating part is I believe there is still an issue with the crossover time period;

The sign implies that you can park there for at least two hours at any time, but from your above description, if you park there between 4:01pm - 5:29pm the maximum time you can park would be 1:59min - 0:31min, which is less than 2hrs.

Of course 1:59min is not unreasonable, and waiting a minute or two for the time to tick over to 5:30pm also not unreasonable (assuming you knew the ticket machine changed its rules at 5:30pm),

but anyone parking there at ~5pm is only going to have 1hr of parking, which seems contrary to the signage.

Is there any reason the ticket machine can't cater for crossover times greater than 30min ?

Unfortunately my time has run out and I haven't been able to nail down exact rules and definitions sufficiently to warrant to time and cost to take this $100 issue to court.

3. Hayder Shkara

Hayder Shkara Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Hi Jason.

As soon as the clock ticks over to 6pm - you will be required to have a 4P paid ticket or a 30min free ticket on display. Not sure why the machines don't cater to that, but looks like you're gonna have to pay the fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...