LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Traffic Law - Getting P Plates After Years of Driving Experience?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by CRS, 22 August 2016.

Tags:
  1. CRS

CRS Member

Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question about QLD Licence.

I'm 40 years old and I came to QLD from NT about 3 years ago. I always have hard time doing the written test to get L plates, always failing, so I gave up and just drove. I've been driving for over 20 years without a Learners and couple of times I fluked it and I got my L licence, but I always miss out on getting P plates cause I'd be out on an outstation which is in remote Arhnem land.

I was wondering, is there any way under Traffic Law I can get my P plates straight away after getting Learners if I'm lucky to pass the written test, because of my 20+ years driving?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Considering your 20+ years of driving has been illegal, I don't think the Department of Transport would be inclined to reward you for it.

3. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you for reading my statement and question and giving me an answer :)

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

As a matter of law, you are no different to anyone else who has never held a licence.
    That said, if literacy, or if doing a written (or on-screen) test is a thing,
    then ask at the counter when you apply - there may be arrangements they can make to vary the way those tests are delivered.

And I agree with @Sophea - I do not recommend mentioning that you have been driving for 20+ years without ever having had a licence.

5. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I can't understand the questions when I do them, but when doing the driving, it is easier for me.

I will ask the office lady for help for this when I go in and I won't talk about my driving for 20 years.

Thank you.