Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Traffic Law - Getting P Plates After Years of Driving Experience?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by CRS, 22 August 2016.

Tags:
  1. CRS

CRS Member

Hi,

I just wanted to ask a question about QLD Licence.

I'm 40 years old and I came to QLD from NT about 3 years ago. I always have hard time doing the written test to get L plates, always failing, so I gave up and just drove. I've been driving for over 20 years without a Learners and couple of times I fluked it and I got my L licence, but I always miss out on getting P plates cause I'd be out on an outstation which is in remote Arhnem land.

I was wondering, is there any way under Traffic Law I can get my P plates straight away after getting Learners if I'm lucky to pass the written test, because of my 20+ years driving?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Considering your 20+ years of driving has been illegal, I don't think the Department of Transport would be inclined to reward you for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you for reading my statement and question and giving me an answer :)

4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

As a matter of law, you are no different to anyone else who has never held a licence.
    That said, if literacy, or if doing a written (or on-screen) test is a thing,
    then ask at the counter when you apply - there may be arrangements they can make to vary the way those tests are delivered.

And I agree with @Sophea - I do not recommend mentioning that you have been driving for 20+ years without ever having had a licence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I can't understand the questions when I do them, but when doing the driving, it is easier for me.

I will ask the office lady for help for this when I go in and I won't talk about my driving for 20 years.

Thank you.