VIC Tradie trespassing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

c123629

16 June 2021
Hi all,

I have hired tradespeople to do some roof repairs on my roof, they said they could finish all the work in a day, so I agreed and let the job go ahead. Before the work commences, I said I am only available on Saturday as I work during weekdays, so please do the work on Saturdays and arrange a time with me so I can provide access. They turned up last Saturday and did some works, but not completed. Then no communication afterward, no text, no email, no phone calls, they came to my property this morning, and climbed over the fence, and started works. I have locked gates when I left home to work this morning and my partner was at home, as both of us did not expect the tradesman to turn up and she was scared as she heard a strange noise from the yard, she then called the police straight away and police attended the scene. I returned home shortly and ask the tradesman to leave as the action was unacceptable.

My question is, the police said the only thing they committed was trespassing, but they are just here to do the work, although I am engaged with them to do the work, still, they have entered an enclosed land over a locked gate without any permission from us. If they just arrange a suitable time with me, I can provide access without any problem. Is there any legal action I can take any further?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is there any legal action I can take any further?
People who ask this question often (even usually) already have something in mind.
What kind of further legal action do you think might be open to you?

Last edited: