- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

SA TPPD - Driver or the Registered Owner of Vehicle Liable?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Davistev, 27 August 2014.

  1. Davistev

    Davistev Member

    16 June 2014
    Likes Received:

    If another person drives my car with my permission and then has a car accident causing damage to third party property, who is liable?

    My car only has CTP insurance and not Third Party Property Damage (TPPD) car insurance. Since I was not the driver, can I still be held liable for another person's actions?

    Thank you in advance
  2. John R

    John R Well-Known Member

    14 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi David,
    Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance covers the vehicle and any personal injury to a third party.
    In relation to third party property damage (TPPD), my understanding is that the driver at fault is liable.
    That said, if the third party's insurer can't recover funds from the driver, it's possible that they may attempt to recover funds from you.
    Are you able to provide further information about the accident?

    Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Share This Page