WA Tournaments and Their Legality

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm not saying I'll be able to help you, but you're going to need to give a bit more information that that. An 'online tournament for money' can encompass a wide range of things.

Sassoo

6 April 2017
I'm not saying I'll be able to help you, but you're going to need to give a bit more information that that. An 'online tournament for money' can encompass a wide range of things.

No worries, thanks for your reply.

It would be a knockout tournament of 4 players. Each player pays an entry fee of which the website takes 25% and the winner takes the rest.
The game played would be reaction based, a game of skill. I.e. you shoot as many targets in a given amount of time, whoever has shot the most targets wins.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Since what you're describing appears to be a 'game of skill' (as opposed to a 'game of chance', or a mixture thereof) you probably won't need a permit to run the tournament. As long as there's no gambling involved, I don't see any fundamental reason why you couldn't set it up. However, be aware that there will be a multitude of indirect laws along the way which will affect how you run it.

Reactions: Tim W