QLD Time Limits on Charges of Perjury?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
Hi,

I seem to be getting the runaround. Can somebody please tell me how and where I should be lodging a complaint of Perjury (which I can prove). Is it with the Police? Or The AFP? Or The Magistrates Court?

Kind Regards

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Dwayne,

I must apologise. I had thought you were asking about limitations of perjury because you felt you have committed perjury. I now understand. I think it depends where the perjury occurred. Normally the opposing lawyer will try to prove perjury during the hearing of the case.

Reporting it to the police should be a method of initiating the claim but the police are probably not interesting in investing time to chase this matter. The following link is actually for making complaint against a Magistrate but you may be able to email your matter to the Chief Magistrate, referencing the case in which the perjury occurred. http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/courts/magistrates-court/complaints-policy

I have to be honest, I'm absolutely guessing how you report a perjury matter. As I said perjury is normally dealt with during a court case. I don't think it is normally presented to the court as a separate matter like this.

The only problem is if you are trying to get your ex on perjury its going to look like a spiteful act and I don't know if the courts will necessarily be interested in being in the middle of it so you will need to detail the perjury very clearly in the email.

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
Hi Lance,

Thanks very much for your response. I'm completely uneducated in this area of law and had I known better I would have made the claims during the court proceedings. I don't deny feelings of revenge with regards to my ex, however, they are all justified. Her lies have destroyed my life and kept me away from my beautiful Children for over 2 and a half years. I am also facing the prospect of amputation to my lower legs due to her lies and medical negligence.

Maybe I'll just go down the path of Civil Litigation and forget about the Criminal side of things even though what she has done to me is a crime.

In the long term it will be the values that my Children learn that is important, not revenge!

Thanks again for the wake up, cheers.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Dwayne,

I obviously don't know all the details of your case but an option might be to tender previous documents that identify the perjury as evidence for the new case and have your lawyer make your ex perjure herself before the court. It will appear less spiteful but achieve the same outcome.

I'm really sorry to hear about your medical condition and the fact you have been kept from your children. One thing to think about aside from the feelings of revenge is that if you have your kids mother locked away for 14 years for perjury it may not be in their best interests. I wish you all the best.