VIC Theft from Previous Employer - What to Expect?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaczobrody

25 May 2018
I’m 37 and was fired from previous employer for stealing around $15000. This happened over 12 months ago. I have not been charged but I have been told it’s now in the police's hands. I have 2 small children and this is very out of character for me and would never do it again. What should I expect from the police to court to sentencing?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on a few factors.

Do you have any prior criminal charges? Any convictions? If yes, what and how long ago?

Have you paid back the $15,000? Have you agreed to a payment plan?

Do you intend to plead guilty?

Jaczobrody

25 May 2018
No previous convictions or charges.

I will plead guilty. When I was giving statement to to independent investigator, I said I would pay it back. Could they just let me know the total amount and arrange a payment plan? They never got back to me, and I was told not to contact anyone.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Looking at sentencing stats for theft, 40% end in a jail term, with ~70% being less than 12 months if it goes to court.

I'd expect most of those jailed to be repeat offenders.

You stand a fair chance of avoiding jail but suggest a lawyer will help get a reasonable result. Ask the lawyer about a diversion program which is a one time use keep out of jail card. Will mean paying back the money.

Otherwise a CCO or or up to 5 year undertaking is possible.

Blame liberals for abolishing suspended sentences.

Stressed1986

20 July 2018
Hi jaczobrody I'm in a similar situation just a smaller amount. I was wondering If the police have contacted you yet. I worked for a pig of a boss sending me. Pictures of half naked woman, saying woman are only good by the hour. Then was so rude when he found out I was pregnant. I don't want a criminal record and I want him. But of my life. I just don't know what the prices is