VIC The upright piano was damaged badly but no one wants to admit fault

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hung Ta

19 December 2017
Hi there, my situation is a bit complicated.

I have an upright piano worth $11k

In February 2017 I used "Lachlan Brown piano mover" to move the piano from my old apartment to Gavin Gray Piano's storage (this was suggested by Lachlan). Lachlan Brown assigned his employee Odino to do this job. I was helping Odino the whole time to move the piano from my house to the truck. Odino witnessed there was no damage on the piano. Once his truck departed my house to Gavin's storage, I haven't seen my piano since then.

In November 2017 I used the same mover to move the piano from Gavin's storage to my new address. This time Lachlan assigned Niel. Once the truck arrived, I did a check up on the piano while it was still in the truck and found out this extensive damage on the piano lid.

I got a quote to fix the damage approx $450

I have contact both Lachlan and Gavin but they all denied. However Lachlan and Gavin said they would be willing to contribute $100 and $150 each.

I mean $200 is not much for me to fix the piano but I am furious that there is someone lying and I have to pay for the damage I didn't do. Moreover if the piano is fixed and I want to sell the piano (because the new paint will never match the original perfectly), the damage will decrease the price I want to sell substantially.

What should I do in this situation?

Kind regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
This is a legal studies question and not a real situation? If so, it needs to go in the correct thread.

If it is a real situation, get the names redacted.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Ok well my guess is that the piano mover is solely to blame. If they want to transfer any blame to the storage people then they should have made a note of any damage when they picked it up. By taking delivery of the piano and not noting any damage, they legally accepted it into their care as undamaged.