NSW Text Messages and Facebook Screenshots - Evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Corinne

31 October 2015
Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know if text messages and Facebook screenshots hold up as evidence in family court?

Cheers

AllForHer

23 July 2014
They are admissible if attained legally, yes. You should annexe them to your affidavit.

Lucie Harp

28 January 2016
I have a current family law case where a man with a violent criminal history has initiated proceedings to have my seven-month-old baby removed from my care and placed into his full time as he has threatened me since I fell pregnant. He has based his entire case on text messages, but during the time since I became pregnant, he has accessed my private phone, email and social media accounts at every opportunity, even sending me screenshots of private messages between myself and others, so anything he claims that I have written could potentially have been written by himself. How is the best way to protect myselfrom this in court?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, what's the context of the messages? Are they relevant to proceedings? For example, are they messages of you saying "I'm going to kill this child", or are they more to the effect of "I have to breastfeed the baby so visits can only be two hours"?

If it's the former, you have a problem. If it's the latter, you don't.