NSW Terms and Conditions: Forever discharge and release all parties from any and all claims for injuries, damages related to a sport event

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hung

18 February 2016
Hi,
The event that I'm enrolling my child to requires this consent: I forever discharge and release all parties from any and all claims for injuries, damages, or loss that my accrue to my minor child/ward arising out of, connected with, or in any way associated with the event, and clarifies that the scope of release includes ".... any negligent act, breach of duty.."

Does it mean upon accepting the abovementioned condition, even if an accident occurs due to breaches its duty of care, there is no way to make any claim for compensation?

Thanks,
Best regards,

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
That's the theoretical position, yes.
It's usually something that the event's insurers require them to have as a condition of taking part.

Hung

18 February 2016
Thanks Tim, that confirms our concern.

So does that means if we want our son to be insured then we will need to arrange our own insurance then?

Can I ask what would be the right insurance type? Or does this question need be asked to an insurance broker?

Thanks,
Best regards,