QLD termites

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mike.griffen

17 August 2020
My property backs on to a golf course & after my recent annual pest inspection a termite nest was discovered a metre from the back fence on the golf course, I have contacted the golf course & they have replied they are not obliged to remove the nest & have given my permission to get my own pest controller to remove it at my cost

many thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I can't see a question in your post, so I'm assuming you're asking if they can be required to remove the termite nest?

The answer is 'probably not'. It will come down to where the property is. In most cases there's nothing you can do to compel a neighbour to do anything about a termite nest on their property.

However, there may be local council laws in your area that change that. I'm only aware of one council (Logan City Council) that has done so - their Local Law No. 10 has a requirement not to do/omit to do any act which causes a nuisance - and that includes having a 'wasp nest, bee hive or other insect nest on the premises .... is likely in the authorised person's opinion to give rise to a risk of ... property damage'. Premises is defined to include land, and termites are insects. So, if you're in Logan City or your local Council has a similar law, you may be able to complaint to the Council and they can require the termite nest's removal.