VIC Terminating gym account

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Claudiu

16 March 2016
Hi all,

I had a gym account for 3 years. Last year (2017) in September I had to suspend my gym account as my card has been stolen and I was oversees. Meanwhile due to my shoulder injury I decided that I do not need the gym anymore, and did not activate my account back. Recently, February 2018 they send me an email that my account will be reactivated, so I popped at their office and ask for account termination while account is still suspended. I received a form that I completed and they said that it will be processed on two weeks time.

Now I get an email from them asking me $11AUD termination fee + $33AUD for the time they reactivated my gym until it will be terminated. Further more they said that they will not proceed with account termination until I pay all the amount: $11AUD + $33AUD.

I agree to pay $11AUD as this is the suspension fee, but I find it unfair to charge me another $33AUD for nothing, and I don't want to pay that.

In their terms and conditions, it is stated that an account can be suspended from 2 weeks to 12 months nothing more. On email they say that the account can't be suspended for more than a 6 month block, but that is not in terms and conditions.

They do not have my credit card details. so:
1 can they force me in any way to pay the whole amount?
2 can they refuse the $11AUD payment saying that I actually own $43AUD, and if yes how should I react?
3 can they actually do not terminate my account and ask for more payment in 2 or 3 or 4 month time, even if I have logged with them the termination form?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Just politely inform them that you are paying the $11:00 dollars but you will not be paying the $33:00 dollars. Don't argue with them about it just state it as fact. You can even say exactly that "i am not going to argue with you about it, this is how it is, thank you for your service, bye".

But be sure you read your contract carefully before doing the above.... there may be some trinket in there that is a little open to interpretation in their favor, if so, then pay it, if not , then DO NOT pay it.