Tenants in common

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Misty1

20 July 2020
Hello,

Can someone tell me if I own a property as a Tenants in common with my husband and one of us pass away, will the property remain to the other partner and children as well or only to the partner.

Thank you in advance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Neither, goes to your estate.

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Expanding on Rod's response, I would reply to your question in the following:

In Australia you may be aware that property can be owned / shared either as 'tenants in common' (TIC) or 'joint proprietors'. The difference between the two structures is the manner by which the property is dealt with upon the death of the other co owner/s. As a joint proprietor if a co owner dies the 'rule of survivorship' will apply and the land ownership will automatically transfer to the living owner.

If the land was owned as 'tenants in common' then the registered owners on title can bequeath their share of any real property to a beneficiary in a will. This assumes that a will has been executed. If one has not, then the laws of intestacy will apply to how the share of the deceased's property will be distributed.

In a TIC scenario - husband , wife and two children: (assuming a Will has been drafted by both H & W, that states that upon the death of either H or W , H's or W's share of property A is to be bequeathed to child A and B in the following proportions e.g. 50 % to child A and 50% to child B.

In a JP scenario - if either a husband or wife die, the sole survivor will receive the entire property, regardless of any contrary provisions in their will.

A JP can be also severed by agreement or order.

Misty1

20 July 2020
It took me a bit to understand this. But, now it is clear. Thanks very much for your assistance.