NSW Tenant Overcrowding Complaint - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Harry P

22 January 2017
Hi there

I am a landlord in Sydney and my Strata has sent me an email implying that my tenant is overcrowding the apartment (see below). They have given me no evidence, so I am not sure what grounds I have to take any action against the tenant. What if it is a mischievous complaining by another resident? How do I "ensure" four person occupancy?

Many Thanks
  • The Strata Committee are likewise in receipt of reports of overcrowding within the
    apartment with the current occupants exceeding the maximum limit of four (4)
    people. This in breach of the schemes development consent conditions and presents significant insurance and fire safety risks. As such we request that you take immediate action to ensure the maximum occupancy of this unit does not exceed four (4) persons at any time and provide written confirmation of same within 7 days.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Ask your tenants? Do an inspection and see how many people are apparently living there?