VIC Take Away Chicken Infested with Maggots - Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Corinne

31 October 2015
Hi,

Last Wednesday, I purchased some chicken form my local fast food store which I soon found was infested with maggots after I had already consumed the majority of the meat. I then saw them crawling all over the bone. I have a video footage and three law enforcement colleague witnesses.

I have been communicating with the area manager via email and he states that he's conducted an investigation into store food safety policies, procedures and food temperatures etc and has concluded that the infestation could not have occurred in the store.

I disagree, because the food was consumed within 15 minutes of purchase and fly larvae take 24 hours to hatch into maggots.

I've also contacted my local council's environmental health department.

What kind of recourse can one take with this kind of issue? Considering the food was taken off site, can these fast food outlets wipe their hands of it with their supposed correct data and that's it?

Any info from someone who has experienced a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...and three law enforcement colleague witnesses.
1. What do you mean by this phrase?

2. Apart from complaining to the Area Manager, and to Council,
what further redress do you want?
Money? I don't see it.

Corinne

31 October 2015
Yeah I'm after people with similar experiences. Money was never mentioned. If you don't see it, feel free not to comment.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Money was never mentioned..
Well then, what form of redress do you seek?
  • You have the usual ACL rights - being refund, or replacement (repair not really being applicable).
  • You have taken the obvious first step in dispute resolution - contacted the Area Manager
    (if you are not happy with that, as it seems you are not, then work further up the
    <ahem> food chain in the company).
  • You have made a compliance complaint to Council.
If monetary compensation is not what you want,
then what else do you have in mind?

The credibility of your witnesses by virtue of their jobs
(whatever "law enforcement" means) is not really relevant.

Clancy

6 April 2016
24 hours to hatch might be the case for some species of blow fly. The more common Australian blow fly actually give birth to live maggots! Disgusting things they are.

You can have maggots crawling around in your chicken just by taking your eyes off it for 1 minute! they will be very small though, about 1 to 2mm in length, disgusting things.