SA Suspended Drivers Licence - Driving on Private Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nairne

1 October 2017
Hi, I’ve just had my drivers licence suspended. I was wondering, can I drive at work as it is in a fenced yard with no pubic access and security gates that require government security clearance before entry (It's not government land)?

Cheers.

Clancy

6 April 2016
You're safe on private land, but being an employee may complicate it a bit? Check with Workcover?

Nairne

1 October 2017
Thanks Clancy

That’s exactly what I did, they were really good but you’re correct in saying that it is complicated. No definitive answer but they were worried if an accident or incident occurred that I would be driving a vehicle unlicensed, but to confuse me more they were not sure if being suspended from driving on Australian roads was actually unlicensed.

Still not sure where I’m at so I have not been driving at work in case of a incident.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi, I’ve just had my drivers licence suspended. I was wondering, can I drive at work as it is in a fenced yard with no pubic access and security gates that require government security clearance before entry (It's not government land)?
Are you a wharfie, or are you an airside worker at an airport?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Although it's unlikely to be word-for-word in the paperwork,
your employer's Workers Comp and Public Liability cover
will probably be affected.
In insurance-think, there's no difference between "Suspended", "Disqualified", and "Unlicenced"..
To the insurer, you've either got one, or you don't.
The employer's insurer could potentially refuse to pay a claim
if an at-fault employee driver didn't have a licence.

In any event, anywhere where you load, unload, stack or otherwise deal with,
say, containers, or trucks, could well be a "road related area"
within the meaning of the SA version of the Road Rules,
so you'd likely need a licence to drive anything there - even a small one-pallet sized forklift.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Yea the thing with workcover, they want evidence you have been trained to use the equipment you are using at work, If you want to drive a forklift you have to have a high risk license. So having a drivers license proves you are trained to drive a vehicle on a work site.... a suspended license is suspended for driving on the public roads, but its not suspended at work, so that is what they mean by saying you are not 'unlicensed'

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
No, it's just "suspended"