WA Surgeon declined operation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bobgoblin

12 March 2019
Hi,

I'm a white male aged 27, married for 2 years (been with wife for 7 years), have 2 kids and happy in my life just dont want any more kids.
In november 2017 i saw a urologist to look at getting a vasectomy, they refused to do the surgery based on my age (understandable) instead i was told to go away for at least 12 months and undergo a psychological evaluation prior to scheduling another appointment. I have since attended my second appointment and have been refused again as the urologist didnt 'feel comfortable' completing the procedure. I had to travel over 2hrs each way just to see the urologist as i live in a country town and feel that this whole process has been a collossal waste of my time and money running around to get nowhere... any advice? Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Find another doctor. As far as I'm aware, if it's not medically necessary to save a life then a doctor is under no obligation to perform any surgical procedure.

From a doctor's point of view they'd much rather have you annoyed at a waste of your time than face a potential medical negligence lawsuit if they perform the operation and you change your mind later.

Bobgoblin

12 March 2019
Find another doctor. As far as I'm aware, if it's not medically necessary to save a life then a doctor is under no obligation to perform any surgical procedure.

From a doctor's point of view they'd much rather have you annoyed at a waste of your time than face a potential medical negligence lawsuit if they perform the operation and you change your mind later.
How could i possibly sue for Negligence if i've elected to have the surgery and am aware of every process involved in the procedure? Especially when i've proven that im making an informed decision and am of sound mind

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You'd be surprised what a change of circumstances would do to someone's attitude. Whether an action is successful or not is only part of the concern. It's what the threat of a claim would do to the doctor's professional indemnity insurance that's the real nightmare - especially if you're not the only 'young' man they'd performed the procedure on and the insurer decides to multiply out the potential risk profiles of further claims.