VIC Sufficient evidence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mate

4 March 2016
Hi Rod,

Thanks very much for your advice over the phone today, as well as for your involvement in the forum. It's great to have such knowledgeable people here.

I have a question about the following situation. In a scenario where an event is investigated and there were 3 witnesses to the conduct. The person that a complaint is raised against claims something completely different to the witnesses. So technically, his word against theirs. Is this always a clear cut solution?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hi Mate,

NP, and no, not always clear cut. Often comes down to who is more believable in these situations.

Also a good barrister will often pick apart stories that have been concocted by colluding witnesses.

Reactions: Mate

Mate

4 March 2016
Hi Mate,

NP, and no, not always clear cut. Often comes down to who is more believable in these situations.

Also a good barrister will often pick apart stories that have been concocted by colluding witnesses.
Hi Rod,

Hope you're having a great weekend.

I understand that where conduct issues arise, who makes a complaint actually matters. In a situation where a complainant escalates an issue that he hasn't witnessed himself, this is apparently less serious. I would appreciate if you could clarify this for me. Complainant raises an event where person A offends person B. If the event is investigated, and the investigation shows the misconduct occurred, why would this be the case?

Many thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In a situation where a complainant escalates an issue that he hasn't witnessed himself, this is apparently less serious. I would appreciate if you could clarify this for me.

It suggests the parties to the conduct did not consider the matter offensive or worth reporting.

Reactions: Mate

Mate

4 March 2016
It suggests the parties to the conduct did not consider the matter offensive or worth reporting.
Thanks Rod.

Is it even worth investigating an event that occurred 6 months ago? Memories obviously fade and it is hard to rely on them after such a long period of time. Witnesses can have differing statements which can be the result of passage of time rather than dishonesty.