NSW Studying Law in Sydney post High School.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jessica19

18 April 2018
Hi,

I am currently living in Dee Why and am looking to go on to study Law in order to become a lawyer, I am in my last year and was wondering what the step-by-step process was to fully qualify? I have seen the GDLP and LPT courses and was wondering if the GDLP is the same as what you achieve after finishing University? Or is this completely different? What is the duration to become fully qualified? And where is my best option to study in Sydney and the best course to look into?

Thanks,

Jessica.

Sally-Anne Fagin

18 September 2017
I think most uni law courses offered are combined degree courses, such as say Economics/Law or Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Law's.

So basically you will be studying two courses at once, and if you are not interested in the non law component of the combined degree course, then it would be a pain having to do all this extra work in a subject you have no interest in just so you can also study the law component of the combined degree.

I do remember a long time ago seeking to enrol in law at UNSW, it must of just been a law degree course, not a combined course, otherwise I wouldn't have sought to enrol in it.

I sought to enrol as a mature age student, rather than fresh from hight school.
That entailed sitting the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT), of which I scored higher than 76% of people who had done the test since it's inception.

Then I had to go out to UNSW and sit the Australian Law Schools Entrance Test (ALSET), which was quite hard, and I got higher than about 51% of people who had sat the test since it's inception.

But that was not enough to get me into the course.

I think University of Sydney might do a law course by itself, but to get in there I think you have to get a very high (like near 100%) mark in your final year high school exams, (whatever they are called now), or your parents have to be rich and influential and from the Eastern Suburbs or Lower North Shore. If you are from Mt. Druit or Blacktown or somewhere like that then forget about it.

There also used to be a law course offered by the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board, and I think a lot of the course was studied by correspondence, and some evening lectures.

But you studied a module at a time. Maybe you would study the Evidence Law module, and when you finished that you might study say Jurisprudence, and then the next module. You had to pay up front the fee for each module, which back then I think was about $600 per module.
When you finished all the modules I think you had to do 12 months work experience with a law firm, and then you could apply for your practicing certificate.

I applied to there but they wrote back and said I didn't have enough tertiary qualifications so wasn't accepted.
I did year 11 high school. When I say I did year 11, I didn't study year 11, I was just present. No studying took place by myself. Wrong learning environment for me; people can't teach me, I can only teach myself, and that's only if I want to learn something.

I don't know what the acronyms you refer to, being GDLP and LPT, are.

Just remember, while what university you went to, or however else you got your degree, may be important to potential employers, it will have no bearing on how good a lawyer you will be.
That will be up to your natural aptitude for it, and also your desire to constantly learn and improve.

Just remember, most of it is not like the television law shows, appearing in Court in dramatic cases.
Only the top barristers get to do that.
If you work for a law firm, then most of it will be long days sitting at a computer doing nothing but drawing up legal documents, or reading boring documents relating to tax or whatever.

If you do criminal law, appearing in the Local Court, then most of that will consist of putting a good story to the Magistrate of why your client, who has pleaded guilty, should not be sent to jail, and little reference to statute or case law.

But anyway I'm glad I didn't get accepted into a law degree, as I don't think I would have really enjoyed it, or been that good at it either, as I'm mainly a loner, and not really a people person, and law entails you interacting with people all the time.
But you never know, by the time I finished the law course I might have been able to handle it better.

I think I'm good on point of law cases though, such as cases relating to the interpretation of statutes and principles of law. I think this is due to having a mind that won't shut off, and which keeps turning by itself, going over all possible combinations or scenarios till it comes up with an answer. Sort of like trying all sorts of combinations of a jigsaw puzzle till you find pieces that fit together to make a picture.
My mind does this by itself, and sometimes I have gone to bed, or are sitting on the train going somewhere, when suddenly a legal argument pops into my head, even though I haven't consciously been thinking about the matter.

But anyway good luck. And be prepared, after all that study, not to be able to find a job when you finally get your law degree.
It's competitive out there in most professional fields.

My older sister, after working as a primary school teacher for several years in the country, found she could not get a job in the city as it was more competitive there, so she went back and studied for her Masters degree in primary school teaching. Absurd that you need a Masters degree to teach primary school kids, but this is what it took to get a job in the more competitive city environment.

I am glad, to the extent that I work, that I'm self employed. I don't want to work for other people again, too much bulls**t, and you don't get rewarded for working hard or being good at it, it's all decided on office politics.

I wish you luck anyway.