QLD Storm water easement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Abuc

27 October 2019
Hello,
I’m after some advice please, I have a stormwater easement on my property and would like to erect a shade sail over my pool, how close to the easement can I place the pole for the shade sail.
Many thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm assuming it's an underground stormwater pipe? Given that's just a pole footing you shouldn't have any issues with building it where you like - it would be a different matter for a larger structure such as a house or an extension.

Be aware that if you build it on the easement footprint there is a risk it could be destroyed if access is ever needed to the easement for maintenance/repair.

If you're in doubt, contact your local council.

Abuc

27 October 2019
I'm assuming it's an underground stormwater pipe? Given that's just a pole footing you shouldn't have any issues with building it where you like - it would be a different matter for a larger structure such as a house or an extension.

Be aware that if you build it on the easement footprint there is a risk it could be destroyed if access is ever needed to the easement for maintenance/repair.

If you're in doubt, contact your local council.
Thank you very much Rob, much appreciated