QLD STOOD DOWN WHILST BEING INVESTIGATED

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 October 2017
Dear Sir Madam

I work for a mining/processing company in central qld. Last week i received (annonymously in an envelope) a letter that had been drafted by HR for my impending redundancy. The letter had not been issued to me.

Taken aback I took the letter to my manager to ask if he knew anything about it. He then handed it on to the HR manager who immediately stood me down while an investigation is conducted into how I got the letter.

Q. Have I done anything wrong
Q. Is it appropriate for my company to stand me down
Q Company has me penned up in my room in the village. I am a FIFO worker
Q. Do I have any legal recourse. I am losing sleep and very worried. No contact from the employer

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Q1. Have I done anything wrong
Q2. Is it appropriate for my company to stand me down
Q3 Company has me penned up in my room in the village. I am a FIFO worker
Q4. Do I have any legal recourse. I am losing sleep and very worried. No contact from the employer

A1. Depends. How did you come to get hold of the letter?
A2. Possibly, depends on how you got the letter.
A3. No question to answer. You should be allowed to fly out when you normally fly out. Check your employment contract for details.
A4. Unlikely, unless you are not being paid. You should be paid while stood down.

1 October 2017
A1. Depends. How did you come to get hold of the letter?
A2. Possibly, depends on how you got the letter.
A3. No question to answer. You should be allowed to fly out when you normally fly out. Check your employment contract for details.
A4. Unlikely, unless you are not being paid. You should be paid while stood down.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Looks like you've done nothing wrong.

Are you being paid?