SA stolen personal items possibly pawned

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ThisGalNeedsHelpPlease

10 July 2018
I have been in the family law system for over 4 years. Ex threw me and our children out of our house. Stole all assets. Left me and our children homeless (All in the affidavits). Police wouldn't take a report of stolen assets because its husband and wife dispute. go figure, and it is in family court. I believe I've found what could be my highly valued watch pawned at cash converters. I have a serial number and the valuation certificate (i managed to get direct from company). They have told me to go to police, yet police told me nothing they can do??? What can I do please to get my property back? (if it is my watch). a simple last three digits of confirmation of serial number would be enough for a probable cause but they refuse to even do that.

smallcat

8 January 2020
Hi again Sammy01,

Regarding stealing assets from home, under what circumstance will be illegal?

It really doesn't make sense that the wife can steal whatever she wants from home.

sammy01

27 September 2015
So I have read threads here where a car registered to one party is taken by the other. So an item that has a registered owner, so no doubt about who owns it BUT the cops wont get involved because it is a family law matter.

All assets are co-owned in family law and then the family law courts can decide who gets what...
Madness I know...

Hayden78

28 September 2019
So I have read threads here where a car registered to one party is taken by the other. So an item that has a registered owner, so no doubt about who owns it BUT the cops wont get involved because it is a family law matter.

All assets are co-owned in family law and then the family law courts can decide who gets what...
Madness I know...

Hi, just like to make a suggestion that may or may not help. If you go to Cash Converters and are able to explain your situation, and get confirmation that the serial numbers do match your watch you may then be able to use this as an asset that has been taken as part of settlement. If the other party denies that it was taken then it would become a police matter as it was not taken by a family member. Just an avenue you may want to look into further.

smallcat

8 January 2020
But if it was taken by her and her siblings together. Can I say that her siblings stole from me?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Sure you can say the siblings took it. The cops will give you the same answer. Why? the cops don't wanna get involved. Why? Donut King is more important to the cops than your watch. There is no chance of the cops getting a prosecution here. Your ex can claim that she took it. You're barking up the wrong tree.
BTW how much is this watch worth?

smallcat

8 January 2020
Just wondering, if it is not a watch but a box of Durex, can the ex still claim that she took it? :)

sammy01

27 September 2015
Only if they've been used because that way there would be DNA evidence which would not be the case with the watch.