WA Stolen bike - restitution

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jimbo!

2 February 2019
Hi, I had my bike stolen, the thief has been arrested and charged, the bike is gone. The police mentioned to me I could apply for restitution. No idea what that entails and I'm pretty sure this guy has no $$ to his name. According to the police he's a well known drug addict, steals bikes and trades them for drugs. So am I wasting my time?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi, I had my bike stolen, the thief has been arrested and charged, the bike is gone. The police mentioned to me I could apply for restitution. No idea what that entails and I'm pretty sure this guy has no $$ to his name. According to the police he's a well known drug addict, steals bikes and trades them for drugs. So am I wasting my time?

In a way, yes, as you know this person does not have the cash, it could be a waste of time, but to be on a safer side, if you ask for it, in the future, if that person does get money, you will get some back, so before you proceed, just ask what it will involve and if it will affect you negatively or financially in anyway, if not, do it, what do you have to lose. Also, that depends on the value of the bike, if in thousands, I will recommend it, but if it is only couple of hundreds, I don't think it is worth the hassle.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I agree. It's very unlikely you'll get any money out of a junkie, but if you're talking about a substantial amount, then the fees involved might be worth trying to get at least some of it back. It's pot luck really - you might get something or you might not.