VIC Stole from Coles, aggressive security

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 June 2019
Today I walked out of coles after paying for some items and not others (not through self serve), it was probably about $40 or $50 worth. After I left 2 security guards came up and asked to me to return to the store, which I refused to do. I turned to walk off and one of the security guarda grabbed my arm to try to keep me there, and when I told him to let me go and continued walking off he grabbed my bag and ripped it off my arm, causing the bag to break. He followed me to my car yelling at me the entire time, then took my registration number as i drove off. Can you please tell me what will come of this? I assume they will give my license plate details to the police and I'll be contacted by them?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I assume they will give my license plate details to the police and I'll be contacted by them?
In these circumstances, I would bet on it because you refused to return to the store. If you were caught stealing on CCTV, then I think the chances of a visit from the Police and being charged are pretty high.

Omnisphere

7 August 2019
If police charge you, either give a no comment statement, or say that you weren't aware that you were in possession of items from that store which you hadn't paid for and that if it turns out that you were, then you had no knowledge of it and that it must have been an honest mistake of forgetting to pay for these items.

Both the Actus Reus and Mens Rea must be proven for the accused to be found guilty of a crime, such as theft.

Unless of course you were aware of it. Surely you weren't, right...?