VIC Theft from Sephora - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

crossru77

15 July 2017
NSW
Hi.

Is there anyone here who can help me with a little problem. I shoplifted $140 worth at Sephora but I wasn't caught. However I stupidly used my debit card to purchase an item along with the item I nicked. Is there a possibility that the staff will check stock and then look into CCTV footage to find the thief and link me with the theft?

I'm so worried...and I completely regret the decision to steal. I just turned 19 and I wanna keep a clean slate.

Jermy

30 March 2015
Well, first thing is that shop lifting is not a good behavior and if you don't stop this, it will affect your life in a very negative way. I read it can addictive. Use this as a lesson to you so not to do it again. sit back and think if you were caught and facing court, this may give more perspective on this issue.

Now back to your problem, if there is CCTV showing you shoplifted the item, then they can get your details (the debit card info) and will you be charged (depending on what the Sephora's action to take). if there is no footage, and no statement(s) from anyone to state this, then I think you are very lucky! (you did not mention anything).

They need to prove you shoplifted the items, not just counting the stock to see the difference. Just count yourself real lucky if there is nothing against you as I said.

You are young and starting out in life, this is the first step in your adult life, not a kid, so be careful as anything you do now will affect your life forever, the first time you get caught, it maybe caution and no criminal record in your name, but if you get a criminal record, it will screw everything in your life.

Hope that helps.

crossru77

15 July 2017
NSW
Thank you for your help. I know its very bad to steal and I will never again.... Life hasn't been great and I thought you know what f**k it. Next thing I was stealing.

The only way I can see myself getting caught is through CCTV footage. Do you think that Sephora or just bigger companies in general review their CCTV footage often? Or do they only check it incase of emergency.

Jermy

30 March 2015
Thank you for your help. I know its very bad to steal and I will never again.... Life hasn't been great and I thought you know what f**k it. Next thing I was stealing.
The only way I can see myself getting caught is through CCTV footage. Do you think that Sephora or just bigger companies in general review their CCTV footage often? Or do they only check it incase of emergency.
Hi,

Well, I don't shoplift so I don't know what they do, and I don't work in this industry, but from my general knowledge, they may check the CCTV footage if there is any concern, say if they do a stocktake and find items are missing, but what are the chances.

One indication, depends on when you did the act, if it was recent, then wait for a while and see what happens, but if it was sometime ago (more than 2 months) i would say you are in the clear, but i may be wrong. This is is from my general info.

Good luck,

Simpzy

20 July 2017
Hey I have posted a question of my own with the title Shoplifting - What to Do?

Could you please answer? Could really use some help

crossru77

15 July 2017
NSW
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for helping me out :) It's been just about a month or more so I think it's safe to say. That it's in the past. And that I won't make a silly mistake like that again. And I really appreciate you offering me a talk if I have any problems. It's nice to know there are still good people out there. :)
Hi,
Well, I don't shoplift so I don't know what they do, and I don't work in this industry, but from my general knowledge, they may check the CCTV footage if there is any concern, say if they do a stocktake and find items are missing, but what are the chances. One indication, depends on when you did the act, if it was recent, then wait for a while and see what happens, but if it was sometime ago (more than 2 months) i would say you are in the clear, but i may be wrong. This is is from my general info.
If you need to talk to someone, feel free to send me a message her, and I can give you my email, if you need someone to chat with,
Good luck,
Huh