NSW Statutory Declaration that Doesn't Need Witnesses?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steph68

26 October 2015
Is there a document like a statutory declaration that someone can fill out that doesn't need to be witnessed ??

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
A statutory declaration always has to be witnessed by an authorised witness.

Steph68

26 October 2015
Yes, I know - which is why I asked if there was a document "like" a stat dec that doesn't need to be.

Prehaps a 'letter of statement' or the like ?

I need to get a couple of written statements but the nearest people who can witness a stat dec are over 40 minutes away.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
If you have been asked to do a statutory declaration - that is exactly what you need to provide. Nothing else will suffice.

Steph68

26 October 2015
No, as I said - I've been asked to get statements in writing. Not specifically stat decs.

I thought there might be a formal statement template that I could use.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No, as I said - I've been asked to get statements in writing. Not specifically stat decs.

I thought there might be a formal statement template that I could use.
By whom and for what purpose?

Steph68

26 October 2015
One person is saying that he knew a prominent couple who are since deceased. He is using their name to further his standing in the small community- specifically on a local community club board/committee.

A number of the families friends and living relatives have taken exception to him doing this and one is approaching the club to complain. He's asked me to get statements from as many of the friends and relatives to say they never met this man before.

Unfortunately due to time constraints and distance, stat decs aren't possible and I thought there may be a formal way to at least take down those statements.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
"Statements" don't have to be stat decs.
In this case, why would ordinary letters not be suitable?

Reactions: JS79